Researchers, note that NIH and MDA (and most likely AFM and MD UK) are interested in receiving more applications for FSHD projects.
Association Française contre les Myopathies (AFM)
Created in 1958 by a group of patients and their families, and recognized as being of public utility in 1976, Association Francaise contre les Myopathies (AFM—French Muscular Dystrophy Association). Its mission is to determine targets for research priorities, and to present them to the Board of Directors of AFM, and to launch the corresponding Call for Proposals. It evaluates the suitability and quality of the proposed research programs, and oversees, a posteriori, the quality of the research. It may call on national or international scientific experts. The grant applications, including the recommendations of the Scientific Council, are presented to the Scientific Commission of the Board, which gives its recommendation and pre-validation. The final validation of the financial engagement is given by the BCA (Managing Committee of the Board) or the Board, depending on the importance of the projects.
The FSHD Global Research Foundation
Friends of FSH Research
Friends of FSH Research Independent Investigator Grants provides support for investigators during the critical period between the initiation of research and the receipt of sustained funding. A two-year award typically up to $50,000 per year (typical maximum of $100,000 for two years) is provided to scientists who are clearly independent and function at a principal investigator level. Friends of FSH Research will consider proposals for clinical, basic or applied research; research must be relevant to the understanding and treatment of Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy. For instance, identifying the DUX4 promoter is of great interest.
Muscular Dystrophy Association
Muscular Dystrophy Campaign
The Muscular Dystrophy Campaign considers applications for research funding in accordance with its research strategy. This includes research into more than 60 different types of muscle-wasting diseases. The charity has an application process in place that involves a rigorous peer review and a panel of “lay experts” so that only the best research is funded. For more information on how to apply, please read about our application procedure.
National Institutes of Health (NIH) Grant Programs
INSTITUTE-SPECIFIC Funding Opportunity Announcements:
- Exploratory Clinical Trial Grant (R21)
- Clinical Observational (CO) Studies in Musculoskeletal, Rheumatic, and Skin Diseases (R01)
- Clinical Trial Readiness for Rare Neurological and Neuromuscular Diseases (U01)
- NIAMS Clinical Trial Planning Grants (U34)
- NIAMS Clinical Trial Implementation Cooperative Agreement (U01)
- P01 NINDS Program Project Grant (P01) PAR-13-312
- U01 NINDS Cooperative Program in Translational Research (U01) PAR-13-022
- R21NINDS Exploratory/Developmental Projects in Translational Research (R21) PAR-13-023
- R01 NINDS Exploratory Clinical Trials (R01) PAR-13-281
- U01 NINDS Phase III Investigator-Initiated Efficacy Clinical Trials (U01) PAR-13-278
- R21 Pilot and Feasibility Clinical Research Grants in Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases (R21) PAR-14-060
- R03 NIAMS Small Grant Program For New Investigators (R03) PAR-12-045
- U34 NIAMS Multi-Center Clinical Study Implementation Planning Grants (U34) PAR-11-169
- P01 NICHD Program Project Grant (P01) PAR-13-257
- P01 NHLBI Program Project Applications (P01) PAR-13-316
NIH Program Officers
Glen Nuckolls, PhD Program Director, Neuromuscular Disease Channels, Synapses, and Circuits Cluster National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke 6001 Executive Boulevard, Room 2142, MSC 9523 Bethesda, MD 20892-9523 Email: email@example.com
Tiina Urv, PhD Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute for Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) Phone: 301-402-7015 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jonathan R. Kaltman, MD National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute RKL2 – Two Rockledge Ctr, 8222 Mail Stop: 7940 6701 Rockledge Drive Bethesda, MD 20892 USA Phone: (301) 435-0528 (301) 480-1454 Email: email@example.com